Saturday 1 November 2014

NaNoWriMo


It's that time of year again! Are you participating? I am and I'm not. Meaning I'm not signing up, but I'll likely be writing 50k+ words during the month anyway. Hopefully. Maybe.

I've attempted NaNo every year, and I've never won it. However, I've also written 60k-word books in a week. There's something about the looming deadline at the end of the NaNo month that tends to suck motivation out of me -- which is strange, because in my previous day job as an editor, it was deadlines that kicked me into gear.

I absolutely LOVE the community spirit of NaNo, and the feeling of knowing there are many other people out there furiously typing away at 11.56pm in an attempt to meet the day's wordcount goal. And as many of us know, writing can be an isolating and/or lonely job, so the community feel of November is an uplifting change. But I just feel like I have too much going on at the moment to truly commit, and then suffer that same disappointment at the end of the month when I don't get a winner's badge. Hopefully I'll be a winner in spirit!

In other news, readers of Skin Deep are in for a bonus this Christmas, in the form of Skin Deep: The Christmas Episode. It's going to be a one-off story about Danny and Stuart's first Christmas together -- a little bit of fluff to rot your teeth, with some filth thrown in for fun. Look out for that towards the end of this month!

ETA: Ooops. I accidentally signed up...

No comments:

Post a Comment