Monday 10 November 2014

No M/F... yet

So, as some of you know, I have an M/F novel coming out next month, and also an M/F serial launching this week. Or at least I did.

My novel is 95% done and my serial has about half of the episodes ready, but... I just can't. Every time I read over any M/F I've written, I'm left cold. There's no passion in my storytelling, there's no vibrancy, and everything feels stiff. While I know that what I've written is technically fine, it doesn't feel like me -- and, to be frank, it's a bit boring. And I am at a total loss as to how to change it. I love M/F, and I've always wanted to write it, but I'm forcing it right now. And it shows.

M/M comes naturally to me. Whether I'm any good at it is for someone else to judge, but while the act of writing itself can often feel like a chore (you know those days), writing M/M specifically is not difficult for me. Once I get over any laziness or lack of energy or the fuzzy head of doom, I can usually tell an M/M story without too much bother. With M/F, there's no such ease.

So I'm not saying never to M/F. I'm saying not right now. After all, I have all these words already written that I'd like to do *something* with at some point. I'm considering transforming my Jameson Hotel series into M/M, as I adore the premise and the story -- I would just need to re-imagine the characters. But that's a project for another day. For now, I'll be pulling the novel from pre-order, and I apologise to anyone who'd ordered it and was looking forward to the release. I hope I can make it up to you with all the M/M I have coming up!

Because my release schedule for the next six months is insane. Lots of serials and shorts and novellas and erotica titles. I think I'm making the best decision here, narrowing my focus. Especially while I'm just finding my feet. We'll see how it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment